Today, people of all ages upload and share content they did not create — breaking copyright laws and crossing ethical boundaries on a daily basis.
We strongly believe that Canadian elementary school teachers have a moral imperative to both learn and teach the legal and ethical ways of using other people’s content from the internet.
As a registered participant in AKGTCanada
WE ASK YOU TO DO SO.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Creative Commons for Kids (Gr. 2-8)
Video by Nancy Minicozzi
Copyright and Fair Use Animation by Creative Commons (Gr. 3-8)
Creativity, Copyright, and Fair Use For Ethical Digital Citizens (Gr. 4-8)
Copyright Awareness for Students (Gr. 5-8)
(Using Material from the Internet Without Getting Sued)
Mayer and Bettle explain using CC music from the web (Gr 5-8) by Nicolas Suzor
Mayer and Bettle explain what Creative Commons is and how it works. A short promotional animation created for Creative Commons Australia and the Queensland University of Technology (QUT).
Protected by Creative Commons 2.0 BY-SA (AU) licence.
1. CREATIVE COMMONS: WEBSITE
2. MEDIA SMARTS CANADA: Resources for Teachers (homepage)
- Passport to the Internet Program (Class tutorial program, Gr 4-8) Click here to see if you are licensed to use this resource
- Media Literacy 101 6 videos (3-8) to help teachers introduce key concepts of media literacy to students i.e see # 3
- Internet Safety Tips by Age (2-4, 5-7, 8-10, 11-13, 14-17)
- Respecting Yourself and Others Online (presentation + guide 6-8)
- Intellectual Property
- Getting the Goods Ethically (Background info 5-8)
- Ethics and Sharing Personal Information (Background info, tip sheet 5-8)
- Think Before you Share (Background info tip sheet 4-8)
- Think before you share: new tools for Aboriginal youth for making good decisions about sharing online
- Teaching Your Children Safe Surfing Habits (Parent tip sheet 4-8)
- Use, Understand & Create: A Digital Literacy Framework for Canadian Schools (background information)
3. COMMON SENSE MEDIA – Teacher Resource (home page)
- Classroom Posters
- Digital Citizenship Videos (K-8)
- Copyright and Fair Use Animation (mentioned above)
- Curriculum Digital Citizenship